On this episode, you'll hear from Marti Trudeau, RN, MPA, CPHQ and Doctoral Candidate in Social Work at USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work, where she is expected to graduate in May, 2020.
Prior to returning to graduate school, Marti worked as a Director of Care Coordination with the BAYADA Home Health Care Center for Integrative Care (CIC).
Integrative Care focuses on clients’ distinct needs over the continuum of their home care experience. This is a new approach to client care that looks beyond specialty settings and responds to clients and their changing health care needs.
When Marti started at BAYADA her work involved Case Management (CM) of mostly VA home care clients. She then worked as a Division Clinical Manager and then Director of a BAYADA State Programs Office. In this role she had oversight of all aspects of the provision of home health aide services to Medicaid recipients in Philadelphia including those under and over 60 years old.
Marti is the author or co-author of 22 articles and papers in peer-reviewed journals and other publications.
When Marti first worked in home care, she observed first-hand the negative social determinants of health on impoverished patients in the community. She was inspired to find a way to innovate change and raise the standards of care not just for patients, but for the workers who take care of them.
In today’s episode Marti shares more about:
• Her innovative doctoral project to address the gaps in health care that could reshape the standard of care for home health
• The subtle difference between home health and home care and why it matters
• The 3 negative social determinants of health and how they impact the health of patients
• Why you should educate yourself for the position you want
• Why she calls herself a “nurse generalist” and how that identity has helped to shape her career
• Tips for nurses who are considering home care and the foundational experience nurses should have before considering transitioning to home care
Marti is so generous with her knowledge and wisdom, I’m excited for you to hear this episode.
Links mentioned in this episode
You can reach Marti at MTrudeau@usc.edu.
Connect with Marti on LinkedIn: